While most moms wear their “battle scars” a.k.a. C-section scars, stretch marks, saggy breasts, stretched out tummy skin proudly others are going the other end of the spectrum. There are those who opt to go under the knife to bring their bodies as close to their pre-pregnancy state as possible.
The Mommy Makeover package is nothing new, it’s been around for a couple of years. If you’re thinking of reversing the effects of motherhood on your body with the help of science here are five things you need to know about the mommy makeover package.
- The Mommy Makeover package is a plastic surgery single-session procedure that is designed to address all the post-pregnancy “body issues” a mom may have after having a baby. It claims to reverse the effects of pregnancy. Focus is given on the breasts and especially on the woman’s tummy that have been stretched out during pregnancy.
2. A Mommy Makeover package includes multiple procedures that are supposed to be performed in one go. These procedures according to plasticsurgery.org may include:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Buttock augmentation
- Tummy tuck
- other packages even include vagina rejuvination or yes female genital plastic surgery
3. It doesn’t come cheap. If you want to Reverse the effects of motherhood be ready to shell out lots of money. Just to give you an idea here’s how each of the surgeries in the package may cost you:
Breast augmentation –Average cost: $3,719
Breast lift-Average cost: $4,636
Breast augmentation with lift-Average cost: $6,225
Breast Reduction-Average Cost: $5,631
Tummy tuck-Average cost: $5798
Liposuction-Average cost: $3,200
These figures are just supposed to give you an estimate, actual cost would still depend on your location, surgeon, surgical facility etc.
4. Considering the fact that you’ll be having multiple surgeries recovery will be painful. The first week will be the worst and you’ll be given pain meds. You will slowly be tapered off medication after three weeks. Full recovery should be expected after around 6 weeks when most of the swelling will subside.
5. Like any other surgeries there are risks involved. Risks you need to consider even before you toy with the idea of getting these procedures done. According to plastic surgery.com “the possible risks of mommy makeover surgery include, but are not limited to, bleeding, infection, poor healing of incisions, hematoma, seroma, loss of nipple sensation, inability to breast feed, implant leak, capsular contracture, anaplastic large cell lymphoma, unfavorable scarring, recurrent looseness of skin, fat necrosis, deep venous thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications, asymmetry, persistent pain, contour deformity, fat embolization and anesthesia risks.
Doctors advice mothers to make sure they are completely done with having children. Yep, because having another baby after surgery may reverse the effects of the makeover or affect future pregnancies. Breast implants for instance may complicate your future efforts to breast feed. Tucked and tightened tummies will again stretch out if you get pregnant again.
So think twice, no, make that many many times, consult your doctors, and do research even before you consider doing this.